Friday, April 24, 2009

Excited to Terrified

I found out I am pregnant with baby number two on Tuesday! It was actually pretty comical. I was at my regular primary care physician who is a very laid-back down to earth lady. She was talking to me about all the weight I have lost and how proud she is of me. She asked me if I had any concerns, I didn't. Then she says, how are your periods, Well...I am six days late. Do you think you can take a pregnancy test. Sure, do you have one. Of course Heather this is a doctor's office. So I go to the bathroom and do my thing, came out and handed the nurse my sample. I wait and I wait and I wait. Dr. T had apparently gone to another patient while she was waiting for me to use the facilities. She finally comes out and says, "So, I am going to present this to you the same way that Crystal (the nurse) presented it to me." She flips around my file and there is a little purple post-it note with a plus sign written on it. I lean forward in my chair to get a closer look. "Is that a plus sign." She replied, "Looks like it to me." I asked her, "Are you shitting me!!!" After that we both just about died laughing. I really could not believe my eyes. I was so in shock I didn't know what to do.

Then of course the next day I call the OB and let them know I had two positive pregnancy tests (I had to take one of my home one's just to be sure!) I explained at the time I called to the receptionist that my progesterone was very low with my last pregnancy so I wanted them to be aware of that. She let me know that they would take care of that at my eight week appointment. This immediately did not set well with me but she told me to come in and get my blood drawn to confirm pregnancy. The next day it came back positive! I left a voice mail for the nurse in the meantime explaining my progesterone situation that I had with Hannah so that she would know since the receptionist didn't care or wasn't listening. The nurse called me in a prescription for Progesterone pills and also had me come in and get my blood drawn. I started to take the pills as soon as I picked them up and then today I called for my number. Apparently no one had reviewed my labs yet, even though it was 3:00 when I called, because I was on hold for a good seven minutes or more. Finally the nurse comes on the line and says that my number is really low. It is a 7 and needs to be in the range of 20-30. She increased my meds and I will come back in on Monday for another blood draw. She ended the call with, If you start to bleed give us a call! That just about pushed me over the edge.

I have given it a lot of thought and am going to call the RE on Monday. It would give me peace of mind to know that I am doing everything I can for my little sesame seed sized baby! To not go to an actual doctor's appointment until eight weeks sounds ludacris to me. I am not an average patient and I don't want treated like one. I have issues, I was high risk for multiple reasons last time and will most likely be the same way this time. I am feeling quite terrified. Tom is taking it all pretty well, he reminded me that we went through this last time and that everything will be okay.

I have calculated my due date to be on or around December 24th. Will know for sure once I see a doctor!

5 comments:

  1. first - CONGRATS!!!
    second - you do what you need to do to feel comfortable about your pregnancy. call and ask the DOCTOR to call you personally, if you want.

    Thanks Mel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS!

    Thanks Billie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! Welcome Abby or Parker! Or Both..............

    Thanks Mom...no one will be named Parker around here, :roll:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited!!!! I can hardly stand it! :)

    Thanks Bestie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy for you. Congratulations!!

    Plus, I really admire the way you stuck to your guns and made sure that the right person was aware of the progesterone situation. You're already being a great mama to that little sesame seed.

    Thanks T, you are so sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete