Thursday, July 14, 2011

Amelia Update

The appointments seemed to be going along well...

Last Wednesday I had an OB appt and was able to schedule my C-Section for 11/1/2011! The next day I had a Fetal Echo Cardiogram at the local Children's Hospital to monitor the effects of my hypo-thyroid/diabetes on the baby's heart. That went well and no issues were noted. The day after that I had an appt at the Diabetes doctor and my Hemoglobin A1C is still really good and my levels have been good so no changes with that. Which meant no insulin, hallelujah! My thyroid is still off and is too high so they are raising my medicine to compensate.

Then this Tuesday came and I had my monthly level 2 ultrasound. Everything seemed fine and then during my ultrasound the tech asked if I had any issues at my last appt. Well I didn't but her question had me quickly realize that when the doctor came to check me out I'd be given some type of bad news. She finished up the ultrasound and advised that Amelia is estimated to weigh 1 pound 4 ounces and is in the 38th percentile. Forty minutes after the tech leaves the exam room the doctor finally shows up. He immediately asks if I know what a "notch" is. Um, no. He goes on to explain that the baby is not getting enough blood flow from the placenta on the left side. He continues with that being where the notch comes in and says that instead of the blood flow being  just "one big gulp" that mine is a "big gulp, a divit and a small gulp to compensate." I could plainly see what he was talking about on the tv screen so that was helpful to know what I was looking at. He went on to say that this could be a pre-cursor for preeclampsia and that I really needed to rest and relax and be as stress-free as possible (insert laugh here). I asked if there was anything I could do for the "notch" and there isn't so I think this is a wait and see kind of thing.  I have high hopes that the next visit is "normal" and they'll tell me there is no longer a sign of a "notch." So for now all I can do is pray!

Baby Amelia's Face:



Profile:

2 comments:

  1. Oh Heather! You should have called me RIGHT AWAY!!! We'll be prayin FOR SURE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] the last one was less than super-fantastic. I along with many others have been praying for this whole “notching” business to be a none issue. While I don’t stress and worry about it all the time I do from time to [...]

    ReplyDelete