Tuesday, September 13, 2016

the (almost) daily struggle

Oh hey there blog! I guess we should see each other more often!

I've been in a season of change the past two years...moving to a new state, dealing with other people's poor choices and the affect it has had on my life and the hard question of after 17 years together, will we even stay married? It was hard and it was awful and there were times when things were so uncertain and so, so bad that you just needed to pray and be still and let the events unfold.  But God in His sovereignty has carried us right through. I wouldn't say it's completely over but definite progress has been made, hearts are changing and that's really all you can ask for at this point. I count it all to His glory.  

As that season of life is calming down we are being thrown right back into helping Carter. I really don't even know what to call it to be honest. We're the family with the little boy who is hard to understand and violently flies off the handle at the slightest thing when you least expect it. The little boy who you never quite know what the right answer is and you wonder if you're parenting him all wrong. He's also sweet and cuddly. He loves when we have one on one time and he can share things he enjoys with me. He recently started Cub Scouts and loves it, this brings my heart joy. He can play Minecraft with the best of them and by golly he's mastered the touch mousepad on the laptop with expert precision. He read me not one but two books today without any help and I could feel my eyes welling. Often I wonder if God gave me him to change me and not the other way around. 

Today was a particularly hard day for him. When his teacher called me around 4:15 and left a voicemail that she was calling to explain "the incident" my heart immediately sank. They were trying something new today and were in the classroom for a longer period of time then normal. Carter began to get restless. His teacher asked him to go to his station when she noticed he was beginning to wander around the room. He instead went over near the faucet and began hitting a tub of something and she told him if he did it again that he would need to sit out for five minutes. Of course he did it again and he was sent to another room to wait out his five minutes and cool off with out all of the classroom distractions. Carter is cooled off, he comes back to class and immediately has a melt down because he realizes that everyone has started the new activity without him. At this point he's then sent to the Principal's office to cool off again and he didn't get to complete the new class activity with everyone else. 

After last week's shenanigan of disrespecting his teacher I thought he would have a good week this week. He had all positive comments yesterday and got 100% positive on the Class Dojo App! The schedule change today and him becoming restless is what did him in... he decided to act out and it went downhill from that point. We are working on a possible IEP reevaluation and a Behavior plan which is in the paperwork stage at this point. 

Tomorrow is another day for progress and I pray it's a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment