Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Riddled with Guilt!



Yesterday was the fateful day Tom and I decided no more "suckie"  for Hannah, gasp!

We had gotten her down to only using it at night and for nap. Then she would find her brothers and use his. When we asked for it back she ran around like a hooligan and tried to turn it in to a chasing game. Yesterday, when we took her brother's suckie away from her she had a tantrum. This must have happened about three times yesterday. It was then we decided no more!

Fast forward to later that night when all heck broke loose! She was extremely upset, understandably so! We went over everything and that suckie was all gone. She seemed okay with this until she actually had to lay down in bed without it. She cried for suckie, she cried for Mommy and Daddy but in the end she did fall asleep. Then around 3 a.m. she awakens and cries some more for the loss of her friend suckie. I felt horrible. Horrible! I thought about giving in and letting her have it but decided we made it this far so just keep going. Eventually with some words from Mommy and a rub on the back she calmed down enough to fall back to sleep.

I am fearful how tonight's bedtime will go. I pray I am doing the right thing!

3 comments:

  1. You can do it! Our little guy was 18 months old when we took his away cold turkey. It was hell for a week, and not fun for a total of three weeks. After that point, all was well. The first week he was just plain distraught, but after that he just was learning how to soothe himself. Once he learned, everything was ok. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know its hard, but every time you want to give it back to her picture in your head a 3 year old talking THROUGH their pacifier. That image is more disturbing to me (and trust me, I've seen more than my fair share of kiddos that old still using one) than a few rough nights of weening her off of it.
    STAY STRONG!!! You can do it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete