Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Carter, Now Sugar-Free!

Ugh, that's where I'm at right now.

I've heard it all when it comes to my sweet boy and I'm beginning to think I should rename him Handful or Pistol or Something Else since that is how he's most often described. The descriptions annoy and frustrate me. My son is not bad or mean. And I don't appreciate grown adults saying that in front of him or about him in front of their children. He's a two-year old boy who is extremely active and entirely too smart for his own good.

I've been praying a lot more lately about my Buddy. Along with prayer I've been scouring the Internets and giving quite a bit of thought on how to help Carter with self-control, hyper-ness and occasionally hitting (hangs-head-in-shame).

I feel like I'm a reasonably intelligent and logical person and I see that discipline (we've tried every different way) does not seem to faze my boy in the slightest. I am also smart enough to realize that no one is perfect and I am speaking to myself when I say that. I've been reading about ADHD. It runs in Tom's family so I know there is a very strong chance that he may have it too. I also tell myself he's two years old, he's supposed to be hyper. Then I begin to wonder, when is it too much? At what point do you call the pediatrician in to have him evaluated?

My internal Mama Bear is telling me something might be "wrong." On the flip side the one thing I haven't tried is eliminating sugars. This has become my next step. I've taken down tons of notes, installed new child-proofing devices around the house and I'm ready to give this a good fight. I've been very deliberate and repetitive in my new discipline routine. I've also added a supplement of Omega-3 Fatty Acids. My fingers are crossed as we venture into discovering what triggers my sweet angel to seemingly go crazy.

2 comments:

  1. Love me a buddy.....if we all work together we can over come any thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it's VERY wise of you to look toward eliminating things from his diet before taking him to a doc so they can pump his little body with drugs. good for you!

    ReplyDelete