Friday, April 4, 2008

Pump It Up

Well breastpumping is a rewarding challenge. It allows me the freedom to go without the baby when necessary but damn is it hard to get a good amount of milk stored. When I pump I get an ounce out of one side right off the bat. The other side however, does not let out any milk. I don't know if it is something that I am doing but it doesn't appear to be letting out any milk. So I basically will get an ounce every time I pump. Not sure if that is a good amount but I am hoping that with time it will produce more and maybe the one boob will cooperate and put out some milk.

I am really quite mind boggled as to why my one boob will not cooperate I do everything the same as I did on the other side, I have even tried a few different things but nothing happens.

Clearly I am going to need some sort of assistance from my mother in this matter. Or at least she can see that I am not crazy if it doesn't work while she is around!

My Grandmother who is clearly off her rocker came up with this lovely-ness this week while talking to my mom: "I just don't know about this breastfeeding, I could never do it with yuns." (Referring to my mom, aunt and uncle.) Then are you ready for this? "It must be because you and Heather have big nipples."

Excuse ME!?

When my mom told me this I was really quite shocked, then I wonder how she would ever possibly know what my nipple looked like. Then I laughed, because she is old and senile. God bless her but she is coming up with the craziest things lately. Grandma would really be a post all to herself, because ever since Grandpa died so has her mind and at times it is extremely frustrating to deal with her.

If anyone has any pumping tips please feel free to leave them.

6 comments:

  1. Most women have similar nursing issues as you do, one side producing more then the other... my advice - keep on keeping on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you grandma. for the uninvited visual.
    giant nipples, taking over the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I had to pump for twins.... (no lie) here are things that worked. First, the baby has in it's saliva an enzyme that helps produce milk. Try to latch her on even if she does not drink a couple times of day especially on the breast not producing well. So sometimes pumping after baby is full works good too - empty your breasts after feeding her. Second, pump totally relaxed. I'm sure you've heard that one.. Third, pump right after your bath/shower. When your breasts are warm it works best. Most important tho; latch baby on - even if she is doing nothing but messing up your nipple with slobber. It really works - I did this right before pump time. Time does too. :) I know nothing about big nipples (gram!) but as for the time issue in that your gram is right. p.s. gorgeous little girl you have there. :) Blessings to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can usually only punp one side too. (I am totally lopsided when nursing ;-)

    If you can, try to pump the cooperative boob WHILE she is nursing the non-pumping one. That always worked for me and I used to get a ton.

    I hate pumping. I feel like a cow. Moo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I pumped every time after nursing (during the day) for 5-10 minutes. I noticed that my supply went up after that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pumping after nursing will help increase your supply and the ounce I would eke out and freeze was the only way I was able to have enough for the bottles my first day back at work.

    And the one boob producing more than the other... totally normal. I'm slightly lopsided and the smaller one never gave as much milk as the other. Princess got plenty of nutrition and was a very round, rolly-polly infant.

    It sounds like you and baby are doing great with the breastfeeding!!

    ReplyDelete