Friday, February 4, 2011

Clean Teeth and Drawn Blood

The day started when I took Carter down to our local Quest to have his blood drawn for his Lead and CDC test. He did pretty well waiting and it was finally his turn. The lady tried his left arm and fished around in his arm for a vein; literally she was fishing around in there. After she called someone else in to fish the needle around in his poor arm they both gave up and decided to use the right arm. As soon as they started on that arm they finally caught his vein but by this time he was in hysterics and my arms felt like spaghetti from restraining him for so long. SO glad that is over and only happens when they are one! Sheesh.

Next stop was home to get Hannah and take her to the Dentist for a cleaning. Given her past visits I was a little concerned for how she would take it. She did wonderful! Listened to the Dentist and was probably better than most adults at the Dentist. Success! Unfortunately she has 2 cavities :( I have horrendous teeth and my back teeth are loaded with fillings or have crowns. I fear she is headed down the same path. The Dentist assured me it was not due to piss poor brushing but rather that the grooves are so deep in her teeth that they are just more prone to have cavities. It was nice to have an explanation as to why we are more prone to cavities; I always thought are teeth were weaker.

Yesterday I decided I had enough of all the bed-time shenanigans. When Hannie was little she was a great sleeper. Somewhere along the line she became a horrible sleeper. She wants you to lay with her in her bed until she falls asleep and then she will get up in the middle of the night and come into Tom and I's bed to sleep in the middle. Not cool. Last night I had her go to bed BY HERSELF! She even stayed there the entire night! Hallelujah! Tonight she asked again, "Mommy you lay with me?" I did not lay with her and she went right to bed.

Carter is a whole different issue. He has never slept well, ever. He will most nights get up in the night and want milk. When he is put down no matter how sleepy he is he will kick the bars of his crib in defiance to go with his crying. It's buckets of fun. I still haven't devised a game plan for him but am thinking about cutting his Suckie and Bottle off this week. He is getting too old for one and I fear if he takes them both any longer it will just be harder on him.

Wish me luck as I try to regain a little bit of sanity around here! As always, any advice would be appreciated! ;)

3 comments:

  1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Cleaner Teeth, lifehandlemon. lifehandlemon said: Clean Teeth and Drawn Blood: http://t.co/24eCFA2 [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. My advice would be to try switching the bottle to water and take it one thing at a time (get rid of milk in the bottle and then tackle the paci). My older two were both paci babies but we always gave them the paci with a special stuffed animal so when we took the paci away, they still had a security object (both kids sucked on the stuffed animal for a few weeks too but they broke themselves of that interesting habit.) We also weaned the paci (they could have it where ever, then just in the crib, then just at night in the crib, then not at all) but it still cost up some sleepless naptimes and nights.

    Not saying that will work for you, but that's what worked for us so maybe it will spark a plan that fits into your family's needs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this all sounds ridiculously un-fun. shots, dentist appts. and no sleeping! It's almost like being a mom isn't easy or somthing! ;)

    ReplyDelete