Monday, March 28, 2011

3 Is The New 10

It's been pretty comical when people find out you're expecting your third. Woman that have three or more seem genuinely excited and their congratulations feel heartfelt. A fair amount of the woman with 0-2 kids are a different ballpark. They usually don't say congratulations right away, this is because their brains are trying to comprehend why on earth you would actually WANT to have 3 children. I'm not making these things up. I was talking to my friend and she asked me how many weeks I am, I told her and the girl next to her asked me if I was pregnant. She then asks if this is my first and when I said no, it's my third I thought she was going to fall over from surprise. Then two women over the cubicle wall, went on and on about how much of a glutton for punishment that I am. I was beginning to feel like I was in a shooting range and I was the target!

At first, I started thinking people were a little on the rude side with their opinions but then I decided to lighten up and just laugh on the inside. I can't imagine that someone with one (or none) would give me an accurate view on how much of a "glutton" I am. However, if someone with five children told me how I am in for a world of hurt I might sit up and listen ;)

What surprises me the most is that people think three kids are too many. My dad is one of seven and my husband is one of four so I don't think I'm doing too bad with three. I've always wanted three, yes wanted. I knew deep down our baby having days weren't over with Carter.

This and baby names has led to very interesting conversations at work. Apparently the whole world has an opinion on what you should name your child. It only gets worse the more children you have.

Today made me think long and hard that I don't want to know what I'm having and I don't want to share my baby names, with anyone. This is my last hoorah and I think I want it to be a "surprise" the day I deliver!

4 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you are saying! People always say i'm crazy or I have my hands full. Actually, I don't. I love my three, I love how close they are, and I would not change a thing! If money was not a factor 4 would be my max! You know what they say... opinions are like ******** everyones got one! You will love it and no one will ever understand! lol I am truly happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. everyone's got something to say.......
    you should hear some of the stuff my mom and dad used to get when they had us all out somewhere. the most famous?
    "Oh my word, are they all yours?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have 5 children. All nicely spaced and some a surprise and others not- and yet ALL very wanted. I always wanted 5 children. With 5 children we get compared to the Duggars. Seriously. So I made a point in my Christmas letter (all for the benefit of my husbands family that make many a comment on the size of our family) to tell stories about our "Medium sized family."
    If 1-2 is a small family. How can 3,4,5 be a big family. Duggars would be a large family right? then we must have a medium sized family.
    My husband is from NJ I am from the midwest...very different views on family size. Our circle of influence stretches on the full quiver concept...having as many children has God allows...again...another opinion that we are subjected to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love having three and feel like I am finally getting some of this parenting stuff right! (And while we found out the gender of each at 20 weeks, we never shared a single name until they arrived!)

    ReplyDelete