Sunday, October 15, 2006

Art Deco

Below are the examples the instructor gave us:

heather-127.JPG  Symmetrical

  heather-126.JPG Sunburst

heather-124.JPG  Zig-Zag

heather-125.JPG  Framed

Personally I DO NOT like this style of arranging. You almost have to be an architect or an engineer. Every placement of a flower has to be well thought out and calculated.

On the other hand, I am glad I took this class so that I now know how to do this style if any one ever wants a modern/contemporary flower arrangement.

This style of arranging was popular during the 1920's though the 1930's

Guidelines for the Art Deco floral design:

  • Line design usually of geometric form

  • Very simple style. Eliminate all unnecessary and confusing detail

  • Exotic and dramatic

  • Unusual plant material. Plant materials used as flowers and part of the overall form not simply as filler

  • Strong angular forms

  • Rich colors, refrain from using pastels

  • Stemless flowers floated in shallow bowls or plates

  • Unusual combinations of fruits and vegetables with plant material

  • All foliage arrangements are very popular during this time period

  • Odd combinations of similar textures such as eggs and gardenias

  • The use of gold gilding or silvering of fruits and foliage are popular for use in formal dining tables


Here is the arrangement I made:

heather-140.JPG



The two red flowers in the middle are Heliconia, the two red flowers on the side are Anthurium and the purple cluster of flowers towards the front is Cockscomb. I don't remember all the foliage name but the leaves in the bottom of the vase are Croton.

Not bad for my first time!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the Art Deco arrangements.
    Afte much time spent looking I finaly found your lovely samples.
    Can you tell me where to find a few more pictures , as I am having difficulties finding some on my own.
    Sincerely
    tree

    ReplyDelete