Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Long Lost.....Best Friend


heather-144.jpg


I have been friends with this girl forever! Are parents live in the same neighborhood only four houses away, if that. We hung out all the time as kids but once we hit middle school she acted like she was no longer interested in me and I accepted that. Then in high school she hung out a little with my friends and I, but not much. Then she disappeared off the radar until like a little before my wedding. Turns out, she ended up doing my hair for my wedding and came as a guest. Everything was cool, then she disappeared again. I hadn't talked to her for over a year. Then when Grandpa passed away she called me to see how I was doing. Then she called Tuesday to my amazement and I called her back Wednesday. I say to my amazement because a few years have not passed so I wasn't expecting a call or anything.

I started talking to her and we got into a big discussion about her health and how she has these mystery pains in her stomach and the doctors don't know what is wrong with her. Then she said she also had cysts that grow on her ovaries and eventually burst causing her excruciating pain. She is on a slew of pain medicines and anti-anxiety medicines. At one point she started to cry and told me I was her Best Friend and that I am such a good person. I felt so awful for her. She told me she hasn't done drugs in a while and she finally met someone she loves and they want to settle down, get married, raise a family. She proceeds to tell me how she is addicted to her pain medicines and can't go on with out them. Her boyfriend doesn't want her to work and she told me she wants to have a normal life like everyone else.

I felt horrible. I am her "Best Friend" and I never talk to her. I never take the time out for her. She is obviously reaching out for me and I really need to kick it in gear and help her. Her last boyfriend beat her and was on drugs. Her new boyfriend sounds good for her so hopefully that will help. Personally I think her stomach pain is something she is doing to herself. Like, she is imagining something but it is not there. It must all be in her mind, right? I of course did not say that to her. I did tell her that I know she is depressed and that she didn't sound like the same person anymore. To be honest she sounds like a tortured person and it is all she can do to get out of bed.

Please pray for her so that she is no longer dependent upon pills to keep her going. Also, pray for me so that I can be there for her in her time of need.

3 comments:

  1. It almost sounds like this is the way most of the girls in your "hood" take. Sounds similar to mine! I'll be praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell you're already being a great friend just by caring and having concern for her. She does sound like she's in a troubled spot in her life, and the fact that she is reaching out to you shows the kind of person you are.

    By the way, you looked absolutely beautiful at your wedding!! I loved your dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all your comments on my site.

    Being a friend is such hard work - wanting to rise to the challenge shows your heart is in the right place. Don't knock yourself too hard and good luck in supporting her! It certainly does take time and energy, but the rewards are great. I'm glad you've been placed in her life so that she can hopefully find some help, strength, and support from you.

    ReplyDelete