Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Fun Times!

We had our annual barbecue this past Saturday, super fun! Although all day we all complained about how it was "hot as balls" out here and that surely we were going to die from the heat. All of a sudden the weather decided it wanted to be 98 freaking degrees and as humid as possible. But we made it through and had a lovely time. The barbecue is always my time to get caught up with the people I grew up with and Tom's family. 

Poor mom dehydrated herself (on accident, of course) and I think had heat exhaustion to go with it. She got horribly sick and ended up going home early, it was a real bummer. Every year we all look forward to the BBQ and mom practically does everything to get it ready and she was pretty upset that she got so sick.

"The boys," as I call them really scare the shit out of me sometimes. You just want to help them change their lives around but they don't want help, they seem to like the way they live just fine. That scares me even more.  It would appear that whoever was "less drunk" received the honor of driving home. Of course fancythisand I were really upset by this, but there is no talking to these boys, do you hear me, no talking to them! When I called Tom and told them what they did he said "They do it all the time." I was even more concerned, it's not like they are just endangering themselves but other people. A few times these boys would say something and I would give them the old you shouldn't do that because xyz... They really scare me, I hope they grow out of there wild and crazy behavior.

We had Tom's mom tell his side of the family that I am pregnant, it was so cute! His mom is super excited and she is hoping we have a girl! She was so cute, she looked over at me and said, "can I tell them now, I am about to explode!" I gave that a good chuckle and told her to go right ahead.

Sunday, we had a man come and give us an estimate for an addition. Holy smokes, it would cost a hell of a lot of money! We paid 157,000.00 for our house, by my calculations to complete the addition it would cost about 60-70,000.00 dollars total. That would mean I might as well just buy a new house, am I wrong? I about had a stroke and decided we should just wait and see how next year goes once we have the baby and everything. I don't want to feel like fools rush in and get financially stuck.

6 comments:

  1. our next door neighbors just put an addition on their house and they said they paid MORE for the addition than they PAID FOR THEIR HOUSE! (Well, they bought their house 14 years ago, and their addition did include a new kitchen and bathroom...) But still....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, we want to put an addition on our house, but man is it a heck of a lot of money!! We will have to wait a few years - and make a lot of money - for sure!

    That's so cute that Tom's mom was so excited to tell the family!

    Jane, P&B Girls

    ReplyDelete
  3. We thought about an addition, too, but I think it would be easier, financially and time-wise, to just buy a new house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a fun BBQ. And your MIL... too cute.

    As for the addition, you never know what could delay construction. It would be awful to have to bring a newborn home to house construction.

    Take it one addition at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't the heat awful? I don't go outside if I can help it.

    I know how you feel, my husband's friends are pretty bad about that. Usually the least drunk one has only had one or two... but still! Do you get tempted to annonymously call the cops? I've thought about it.

    ReplyDelete