Thursday, April 19, 2007

Parents

Do you ever hear one of those songs that just gets you? It is like that for me everytime I hear Jamie O'Neal's Somebody's Hero. It really reminds me of my mother and things that happen through out the course of life. I must admit it makes me cry.

It reminds me of how one day my parents will be gone from this Earth. That really scares the hell out of me. I LOVE my parents so much and I can not imagine life with out them. I think as I get older I realize the days are getting shorter with them. I am not saying they are going to die anytime soon. I guess I am just trying to prepare myself for the inevitable. My mother will be 50 next year and my dad will be 58 this year. WOW! It seems like no time, that we all just keep getting older and older, myself included. I bet they think the same thing about me.

I don't know I guess I have been thinking about that a lot. I had a dream about a month ago that my mom died and it has really put this in the front of my mind. I suppose there is nothing I can do but just let them know I love them and appreciate them.

Does anyone else think about this or am I just some morbid weirdo?

3 comments:

  1. No you are not morbid. As we age we realize things aren't forever. It made me so sad to realize that my dad was aging and wasn't "superman" anymore. I've also talked to him about if it got to the point that he couldn't care for himself, what would he want. It's not fun but somethings need to be discussed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think about it a lot, too, but internalize it because I don't want to even think about it. I love my parents so much, too, and don't want to ever be without them. There is a family who lives across the street from us, and the father just passed away a few months ago, leaving a 13 year old girl and twin 10 year old boys... it makes me very sad to know that they will not be able to grow up with a father, as I have heard he was an amazing dad (he died literally the day after we moved in, so we never met him). I guess all we can do is be grateful for the time we have together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think about it semi-often. But then, I have lost a parent already so I know what I'm in for. But I do want to treasure the remaining parents/grandparents we have for whatever time we have left. Life is certainly too short for petty fights and grudges, that's for sure.

    Now that I'm the parent, I worry more about what would happen to my children if something happened to me. Talk about morbid. I would never want them to experience that pain and confusion of losing a parent when they are young. Just have to trust God, I guess.

    ReplyDelete