Wednesday, April 25, 2007

And Then I Heard, Abortion

Yesterday, my friend Phyllis brought her granddaughter Hannah Rose for a visit at work. I was excited to see her because at not even one year old she sounds like a very intelligent child. The first time I heard her name I was upset because I had always planned on using Hannah Rose for my daughters name, which that never happened. So any-who I made it through seeing Hannah.

A couple hours later my "friend" Rachel calls. I answer the phone knowing that it will of course be some type of sob story as it normally is. I never expected her to tell me she had an abortion. She has told me for a long time, to be more precise since she found out I was trying to conceive, that she wanted to have a baby. I thought at the time that this was ridiculous because she is never in  a serious committed relationship or dare I say MARRIED! About a month ago she said again how she wanted to have a baby with a guy named Donnie that she had been dating for about a month maybe two. She went on an on about how even though she has "so much pain" all the time she would still have a baby. She is a hypochondriac that is always complaining about having pain and "the doctors don't know what is wrong with her." She has been addicted to percosets for over a year and "she needs them for the pain." So she calls and not right away but soon enough she starts.

R: I am pregnant

H: What? Your pregnant?

R: Well I had an abortion.

H: (Silence)

R: I was having a lot of pain and I was sick all the time, I was bleeding and I went to the doctors. The doctor said that I am carrying low and will probably have a miscarriage. So my mom took me to have an abortion.

(Not a hint of sadness or regret was in this girls voice)

R: I was in a lot of pain and my mom keeps calling me a drug addict, but I am in pain. If I need the medicine I am going to take it.

H: Didn't you say you wanted to be pregnant?

R: Well I was in a lot of pain and was probably going to have a miscarriage anyway.

H: Hmmmm.......

R: I was thinking I shouldn't tell Heather because you have been trying to get pregnant for a long time, but, you are my best friend

H: Hmm

(A little bit later in the conversation)

R: Me and Donnie aren't together anymore

H: Oh

(Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! This is the real reason she had an abortion, she was lying about all the above listed aliments.)

I listened to her ramble on a little longer and then told her I needed to get back to work and needed to let her go. Needless to say I was fifty shades of pissed and hurt. How dare she call me and so selfishly tell me she had an abortion! I don't need nor want to hear that shit. She should never have done that, besides the fact that I am trying to get pregnant, I am pro-life, what she did disgusts me. I was having a wretched day after her phone call and my face was so flushed with anger I thought my head might have exploded. I called L to vent and she was just as pissed as I was. I left work an hour early and went to L's. I told her I was going to write Rachel a letter because I don't think I can say anything to her on the phone with out cussing her up one side and down the other. L and I wrote a letter to her that is about four pages long. I am done with this girl.  I hope to God she never calls me again. I haven't been her best friend since we were like eleven and I am sick to death of hearing about all her self created drama. Not once has she ever asked how I am doing or how getting pregnant is going, nothing. She is selfish and only wants to talk about her self and I am sick of it!

2 comments:

  1. I don't even know this girl and I want to smack her. And believe it or not I have a friend just like her (minus the abortion). We were best friends all through school but it got to the point that I just couldn't stand to hear about her all the time. Now we barely speak. I can't believe that girl called you up like that. What's wrong with people??? (((Lemons))) I know that doesn't do much but I do understand your frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.

    Some people are just clueless. First of all, she sounds like a freaking whack job. I can't believe that she'd have the audacity to call you up and tell you that! And I wouldn't be surprised if the reason she was having complications was because of all the meds she takes. That's certainly not good for a growing baby.

    I am so sorry that you had to deal with that and all the emotions that it stirred up. Sometimes a relationship really does reach a point where you just have to throw in the towel. There's a fine line between being a supportive friend and continuing a one-sided friendship with someone who is sucking the life out of you. Best wishes with the letter.

    ReplyDelete